The Balancing Pool’s legislated duties effective January 1, 2021 include the following:
- Allocate (or collect) any forecasted cash surplus (or deficit) to (from) electricity consumers in Alberta in annual amounts;
- Fund the decommissioning and reclamation costs associated with certain generation facilities in Alberta;
- Participate in dispute resolution processes;
- Act as the default market participant and provide settlement functions in relation to certain projects developed under the Small Scale Generation Regulation;
- Administer and provide financing for certain aspects of the Utility Payment Deferral Program; and
- Fund initiatives in the electricity industry at the direction of the Minister of Energy.